FAQ for SELF's Contests
1. Why did we shoot the sacred cow?
They are YOUR titleholders. You should have a voice in choosing the people who represent you. Just because it’s always been done one way doesn’t mean it should continue to always be done that way. You’re smart and savvy—why shouldn’t you have a vote in who represents you?
2. What categories are judged by the audience?
For Mr. SELF, Ms. SELF, SELF boy, and SE Person of Leather: Fantasy and Hotwear/Speed Round/Pop Question.
For Southeast Master/slave: Educational Presentation and Hotwear/Speed Round/Pop Question.
For Southeast Bootblack: Hotwear/Speed Round/Pop Question.
3. Who can vote?
Everyone who pre-registers for SELF online will be eligible to participate in the contest voting.
NOTE: Each registration requires a unique phone number to ensure voter registration/participation.
5. Do I have to be pre-registered by the time online registration closes on Saturday May 20, 2018 @ 11:55pm in order to vote?
Yes. In order to ensure consistency and accuracy in setting up our tally process, the specific numbers of the online voters will need to be accounted for prior to the weekend festivities.
6. If I vote in one category, do I have to vote in all of them?
Vote in whatever category/categories you feel comfortable. You may vote in all of them or only one.
7. What happens if 108 people vote in one category but only 63 vote in another category?
Our tally folks will have a spreadsheet designed to easily import the voting results. The results will be converted using the mathematical proportion formula so that disparities in voting numbers will be evenly represented.
8. Can a contestant win the title by audience vote alone?
No. The contestants must have a balance of scores from judges and the audience in order to win the title. The scoring system does not allow for a contestant to win without a portion of the audience vote and a portion of the judge’s votes.
9. Can a contestant win by judge’s votes alone?
No. The contestants must have a balance of scores from judges and the audience in order to win the title. The scoring system does not allow for a contestant to win without a portion of the audience vote and a portion of the judge’s votes. Your votes count!
10. How is this not a popularity contest?
Unlike American Idol, you only get to vote once per category. Sorry Simon! We trust you to read the criteria and judge if the contestant did well in that category. Contestants are not running against each other, they are running against a standard set on paper.
11. Why do I have to be pre-registered to vote?
Our system only allows preregistered voters to cast a vote in each category. This is also part of how we keep the system honest. This prevents ballot stuffing.
12. What happens if I’m not on the list and I try to vote?
Error 504, blue screen of death. Do not try, it will not work. :P
13. Why do you need my cell phone number?
This is part of how we keep the system honest. One cell phone number equals one vote in each category. You must be preregistered for the event to vote.
14. Will my personal information be secure?
Yes, your information will not be used or given out to any entity or person. Your cell phone number is used as a voter ID only.
15. Is it true that I can have a chance to be a judge at SELF?
Yes, we've created a surprise judge position and when you complete your registration you'll see an option to check off that you are interested in being part of the drawing. One lucky winner will be chosen when online registration closes.